If you are installing new landscaping or refurbishing your existing landscaping there is one question that always gets asked: do I use rock or mulch for my landscape beds?
There are pros and cons to both.
The Pros of Installing Rock In Landscape Beds:
1. Only needs refreshed every several years
2. Doesn’t float or blow away
3. It’s bold and attractive
The Cons of Installing Rock in Landscape Beds:
1. The initial investment of rock is much more than that of mulch
The Pros of Installing Mulch in Landscape Beds:
1. It’s less expensive than rock
2. It retains natural moisture which can help the health of the surrounding landscaping.
3. It’s a softer look than rock
The Cons of Installing Mulch in Landscape Beds:
1. It will blow and float way
2. It will discolor and fade in the Florida sun and compacts with rain.
3. It needs refreshed 2-3 times a year.
When we quote a customer rock vs mulch in a landscape bed the initial sticker shock from the difference in price between the rock and the mulch is significant. However, remember that you will spend your mulch figure two to three times a year almost. Plus you have the additional time and labor to install it. In the end, the choice is going to be – which look do you like best.